Thursday, September 24, 2009

Flood of 2009

Hello to all of my wonderful students! I hope you are all safe and sound with your families! I have been thinking of you over the week and am so anxious to see you on Monday.

We have all been affected in some way or another by this horrible flood. At my house, Mr. Tim and I lost power and water for a couple of days. Also, the road we live on was destroyed and needs to be rebuilt. Several of our relatives live in Douglasville and now have water standing in their floors! I am blessed beyond measure because I did not lose any loved ones. I'm sure all of you have your own stories of the flood and I would love to hear them.

As you know, we have been discussing homelessness in our class since school began. I think now, more than ever, you can see how homelessness can result from things out of our control. So what are we going to do about it? We have tossed around ideas about service projects for the last several weeks. Now is our time to decide. What will we do to help Douglasville, our local community, as we recover from the effects of the flood?

In response to this post, I would like to hear about how you and your family were affected by the tremendous amount of rain, and how you would like to help rebuild Douglasville, particularly focusing on those who lost their homes.

Wishing you all well!
Mrs. Jackson

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WAS MAINLY SCARED OF THE LIGHTNING!!!!! The rain and thunder kept me up all night! Now I am better. Our pool flooded about 1 foot and has lots of mud in it. We were lucky we had lots of food and drinks because roads were blocked for three days. Our phone wouldn't work for a little while but we had power.

    My dad has a person at work that lost their house. It was flooded. He told them they could stay in our house in Jasper until it is fixed.

    I'm glad you're okay. Ryan D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ryan! I am glad you are well!! That was very nice of your dad to offer up your home in Jasper to a family in need. What would you like for our class to do for those who are in need?

    Mrs. J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs.Jackson,
    Me and my family are ok, but we have to close our pool early. The steps into our pool are covered in atleast 3 inches of mud. We didnt have water up until Wednesday. The bridge that is over Dog River by my house was completely flooded with water. I cannot wait to come back to school.

    Sincerly, Mackenzi

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is a student at South Douglas that lost their house maybe we could donate things to them or we could sell snacks in the cafeteria at lunch and give them the money.

    See you at school!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mrs. Jackson at my house all the rocks from my driveway got crumpled down in front of our garage. But none of the trucks got hurt. And our house and pool had no damage either. We didn't lose our power or water at all. I'm happy you're okay Mrs. Jackson.
    Maybe we could help if each kid in class donated some toys or books they don't use. And we could donate some clothes. The adults could donate too!
    See ya Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Jackson,
    I am ok and so glad that you are too. The worst thing that happended at our house was that a snake got into our kitchen floor. My mom screamed and captured it. It was little so she flushed it down the toilet a bunch of times !!!!!!! We had a leak in our garage and in my mom's room, and the plaster fell off the ceiling. Our next door neighbor helped us fix it.Also both of our bridges on Post Road are out,but we can still get out.

    One of my ideas for our project is that we should give some of our clothes and toys that we have grown out of but are still good to the people who lost them.I will be thinkiing of other ideas too! See you Monday I hope. Leya

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am happy that noboty got hert.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ME and my sister was looking at the flood in the car.WE sow a car flip up side down in dog river.the latey got out of the car and druondedin the river.this peopl from our chruch `ther bastment got flooded.my dad siad that he herd people saing help.and he did .

    ReplyDelete
  11. at my house idid not get fluded.ther wher no mesups.my water was not out

    ReplyDelete
  12. my brother got flooded in his basement.he was dreaming that he was floating on his bed .my dog name bengimn was flaoting on his bed kring and he was scard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was happy and sad becuase I got a week off of school. I was angery becuase I couldent drink water from my refregartor,falset,or sink.My mom was mad

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mrs.Jackson we did not get flooded. My brother was a sleep at this very moment. At twelve oclock he woke up beceuse of all the thunder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mom could not sleep beceuse he was crying all night. During the storm i could not sleep beceuse how loud the thunder was. My heart was pounding like i was about to die. Also,the lighting was so bright it looked like the sun. Ides for homeless. I was thing about doing a food drive,toy drive even probly we as a class could do a consetion stand with bookbags and a decertion kit if they wanted it decered.We can also do a school suplise drive. And we also find them a school or maby they can to this school.

    ReplyDelete